From October 20, 2009 until November 12, 2009 I had the following symptoms EVERY DAY:
- Body tremors, especially my right arm and hand
- Body twitching...My entire body would twitch pretty radically. It was completely involuntary and beginning to interfere with my radiation treatments because I could not remain still on the board.
- Vomiting
- Dry heaving
- Cold chills and cold sweats
- Hot flashes
- Diarrhea
- Pain in my chest and right arm
- FATIGUE
It felt like I was going through drug withdrawals. I was so incredibly tired that I could barely function. I was not able to drive. This burden was given to my sweet friends and incredible parents. While I drove them CRAZY, they drove Hannah Beth, Aiden and I everywhere we needed.
Mom and Dad thought that I was addicted to Ativan. So, I would take some when the twitching, shaking and dry heaving were really bad. Then, my Dad, the seriously brilliant man that he is, spoke to a Doctor he was working with. He suggested that it could be adrenal insufficiency.
On Tuesday...(Glory Juice Day! I'm a Tuesday Trooper at the infusion center. Every 3 weeks I continue with my Herceptin Treatments. If anybody is in town and wants to kill a few hours making sick people laugh, you are welcome to join me!)...on Tuesday, November 10, I went in for my Herceptin. I explained my CRAZY MAD symptoms to Laurie. She had a puzzled and surprised look on her face. Now, you have to know Laurie. This nurse is top notch. She has been working as an Oncology nurse for over 20 years and she is one incredible cookie! Nothing shocks her! I pretty much have broken the mold for weird, off-the-wall intense side-effects and symptoms throughout these past 9 months. I have been in the 1-10% of oh....you'll be okay crap! I have ALWAYS gotten the worst of the worst.
Sorry, I have digressed, again! So, I questioned my sanity as I watched my puzzled nurse leave the infusion room. Within two minutes she was back. "Dr. Fain said you have adrenal insufficiency. You are going to love this one...You will need to take yet another steroid. This one is different. Basically, your body has stopped producing cortisone."
"Oh, thank you, Laurie! I'm so glad you were able to be the messenger of this one! Steroids, lovely, my favorite! My short and now VERY ROUND body can only take so much more weight on!"
I was too tired to get my script filled that day. I finally took the hydrocortisone on Thursday. By Friday afternoon all my symptoms had vanished into complete air.
Lesson 1:
If you or a friend is experiencing narcotic withdrawal symptoms, yet has NOT been taking narcotics, this is a sign of adrenal insufficiency.
Lesson 2:
If you or a friend has had a MAJOR stressor in their life followed by the above stated symptoms, it is a sign of adrenal insufficiency.
Lesson 3:
If you or a friend has been prescribed hydrocortisone for adrenal insufficiency, do not wait to fill and begin taking medication. This will only unnecessarily prolong your agony.
I have to continue to believe one thing. God is who He says He is. He is still on the throne. Jesus is still the Living Word. I shall overcome, for I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me and strengthens me and strengthens me!
No comments:
Post a Comment