Everybody has 'best friends'. There is one friend that surpasses them all! She is confident, understanding, supportive, patient, and glorious! (I stole that last adjective from Bully! He used that to describe his Mom yesterday in his Mother's Day card!)
This Besty has been around for quite some time. Poor old lady! She can't get rid of me! I came as a package when she met my Dad! You see, I discovered my new Besty recently when I was diagnosed with this little thing called cancer.
She's crazy, my mom, that is! She really is. She has this way about her you know. She just forgets all about herself and thrusts herself in the middle of a burning house without hesitation. She doesn't care about herself! Well she does, only enough so that she can be healthy and well enough to take care of everybody else!
What is it about a Mom defending her children? Moms are so strong, aren't we? But, WOW! I've seen my mother fight! My mother is powerful! Oh, but I've watched her break into millions of pieces over us kids! What a rotten bunch we are! We bring her joy, but each time we are hurt, she hurts with us. Her heart has broken with ours when we have been crushed by those who said they loved us and then chose not to anymore. She has stopped everything in her life on so many occasions, just to be available to us. She has taken care of us during illness and injury, watched our kids, cleaned our houses, cooked food, bought groceries....it's endless....actually pointless for me to attempt to write what she does for us. This time it's different. There isn't a person that has caused this hurt.
Mom has been fighting ferociously since March 27, 2009. She left California immediately to be by my side. She told me I would ultimately have to be the one to fight this, but she would be with me each step of the way! Mom is doing everything she can to defend me from cancer. It is here. The battle is on. We are fighting.
Recently, with all the surgeries, tests, chemo treatments, and doctor's appointments, I've met a new person. She's been around the whole time. She's my Mom! I mean, I've known my Mom since I was like 5. I've always liked her (with the exception of a few moments when I was in the wrong). I've always loved her. She's always been fun. I've always considered her to be a friend. She's more than a friend though! I really, really enjoy being with her, even if we don't aren't speaking. She's my friend. She's my never-leave-me-behind-soldier. She's my new Besty!
I LOVE YOU, MOM!
No comments:
Post a Comment